Tuesday 22 April 2014

Monochrome & Textured Leopard Print


Hi everyone!

I'm really into black and white nail art lately so today's post is also about a black and white design!
I had actually planned do to something with acrylic paints but that was a total fail, so I quickly did some leopard print because that is my go-to design when all else fails and it's super late at night.


For this quick design I used: 
Alpine Snow - OPI
Frosted Purple - Gosh
Black acrylic paint


Although the name of the Frosted Sand polish is Frosted Purple, it doesn't really look purple at all. You can sometimes notice a purpleness in the polish, but it's not very obvious and if the name of the polish didn't have the word "purple" in it, I wouldn't have noticed this purpleness at all I think.


 You know how leopard print goes: three coats of Alpine Snow, make the spots with a dotting tool and then do the black outlines with a small brush.

I did the black outlines with acrylic paint because I wanted to try that out a bit - I just bought a set of 12 colours, just a cheap set so they're not very good paints but I just wanted to try acrylic paint out.

It is true that it's so much easier to work with than with polish! Now, my black polish I normally use for leopard print is a bit old, I'm halfway through the bottle so it's a bit gloopy, which I notice a lot when using it. I had no problems when using acrylic paint, it went a lot smoother than with my black polish.


I also put on a shiny topcoat afterwards because I wanted to see how the Froster Sand polish would look then. There's not a very noticeably difference, the grey looks a bit darker and glossier but that's about it:



What is your go-to design when all else fails? :)

Thanks for reading!

24 comments:

Manases Andrea said...

Great idea to apply the spots with textured polish, it is a fantastic combination!

Robin said...

Thank you Andrea! I do leopard print so often I felt like I had to do some kind of twist on it this time haha :)

Ela said...

Love that textured polish! And I like this pattern, a lot! :) I saw very similiar stickers lately but with gold accent:)

Unknown said...

very nice mani! i bought exact the same gosh polish and didn't saw it was a sand polish so i gave it away. i really dislike textured polishes... but your mani looks beautiful!

Robin said...

Thank you Ela! I like this pattern a lot too haha! ;)

Robin said...

Thank you! I actually wanted to buy Frosted Plum after seeing some gorgeous swatches on AJ's blog (http://goo.gl/SemZYx) but I couldn't find it anywhere in the stores here - maybe it's just not for sale in my country :/ So I opted for this one instead, although it's not very purple ;)

Unknown said...

in austria you get them at BIPA, i don't know if they have stores in Belgium and the online store sends only to Austria at the moment...

Robin said...

I have never heard of BIPA so I think they don't exist in my country :) I will just browse every polish store until I locate Frosted Plum. Which isn't such a bad thing haha :)

Unknown said...

My go-to design is usually just plain creme or no polish at all lol. Love the kinda-heart-looking leopard print. I actually tried to do it a few weeks ago (inspired by you obviously) but failed miserably :( Gotta have to give it a go again soon I think it looks amazing, especially with textured polish!!!

Robin said...

Thank you! I cannot stand not wearing polish to be honest - I live in constant fear of breaking a nail when I'm polish-less haha! Wow, I am so honoured that you liked my design enough to try it out, that's so amazing! I'm sure it looked great though - but I'm looking forward to seeing the second try :)

Little Red Loves said...

Love these ones too! Love all your posts, just added your blog to my favourite blogs sidebar!
Little Red x

Robin said...

Oh wow thank you so much! That's a really big compliment, you absolutely made my evening! :D

Anastasia said...

Wonderful design! And you are right, leopard print is very easy to do and always looks gorgeous!))

Robin said...

Thank you! It is indeed super easy but always so great!

Unknown said...

Your manis are always stunning! I love the shape of your nails <3

Claudia C. said...

Omg, your manicure is lovely :)

Robin said...

Thank you! I love it too haha :)

Robin said...

Thank you Claudia!

Upbeat Nails said...

Stunning Leopard print :D *jaw dropper*

Robin said...

Thank you so much! :)

Emily Nailsxo said...

This design is so so pretty! I've looked at it a few times, can't believe I haven't commented already! It looks so perfect and I just love those colours x

Emily Nailsxo said...

I was just commenting on this about how I can't believe I haven't commented on this design before now because it's so gorgeous and I have looked at it a few times now, and then my comment disappeared :o ! Anyway, I love it, especially the colours you chose!

Robin said...

Thanks Emily! :)

Robin said...

Oh no is Blogger being difficult again?! I have that sometimes as well, that I comment on something and it just doesn't appear :s Your comment came through fine though so don't worry! :)

Post a Comment